Safe in South Texas (RGV/Rio Grande Valley)

You have heard all the horror stories about the problems in Mexico.

It is true. There are problems down there, but not to fear. We are in Mission, Texas and go to Mexico at Progreso two or more times a month. We have never had a problem. We buy a lot of out medications there and shop for other items. We always stop and eat before coming back across the border and buy beer and other booze to bring back.

The people are friendly. My wife has gotten both toes and finger nails done while there.

Don't let the media keep you away.

As I said, we come in at Progreso. It is the safest place to come in. As of this time we would come in at no other place, but others might think differently.

Blog Entries
    Hi Dave,

We also have a lot of personal experience in Mexico, Baja north and south, specifically. We are located in California and pass through at the Tecate, Mexico border crossing. We prefer it over Tijuana as there is usually very little wait at the crossing, where as the later the wait is often at least 2 hours or more and a real hassle, We have driven multiple time all the way from Tecate to the tip of south Baja, Mexico. We have never experienced any problems. There are several check points along the way which are typically a 5 to 15 minute wait, depending on the number of cars ahead of us. We bring our dog, and so far have never been asked or required to show her rabies vaccination, either. The important thing in deciding your trip down Baja is knowing what towns to stop in for the night. The highway is not lighted, so you need to pull in for the evening by 4 to 5 pm at the very latest so you don't chance driving in the dark. Animals have been known to sleep on the warm roads during the night, and can cause a real traffic hazard. South Baja in my opinion is a much nicer place to travel and stay than spending time in the north. The Mexican government has done quite a bit make the area safe for tourists and travelers, and although so many check points are a hassle they are the reason that south Baja has stayed safe for a number of years now. You will need to know what items you can and can't bring into Mexico, including incidentals, medicines, etc, and having your U.S. cell phone set with a Mexico cell phone plan is a good idea too. You need to carry a dedicated insurance policy for travel to Mexico as well. The restaurants are fantastic and there are some really great places to stop at along the way, along with some beautiful vineyards and wine tasting. Oh...and don't forget your passports! I am also this site's blogger, so stay tuned to some upcoming articles I plan to feature on some of the ins and outs of traveling to Mexico!